During Comprehensive Healthcare’s national call with all sites we discussed how diseases caused by multiple drug resistant organisms requires us to evaluate our infection control practices constantly and teach healthcare workers, caregivers and patients how to prevent cross infection. Now with Enterovirus D68 and Ebola we need to be on extra alert!
We are able to add routine questions to our wound care specific EMR for all new admits:
To hone in on possible exposure to MDRO:
- Have you frequented the hospital, other hospitals or medical clinics in the last 30 days?
- Have you or a loved one or friend been diagnosed with an infection in the last 3 months?
- Were you given a diagnosis of MRSA, VRE, C Diff, Pseudomonas?
To hone in on possible exposure to viral infection:
- Have you or a person you know traveled abroad in the last 30 days?
- Have you or a person you know experienced a fever, diarrhea, vomiting or coughing/sneezing in the last 30 days?
To add those questions to your EMR please email or call Kim Yerkes Simonson, RN-BC, ACHRN, CWS, FACCWS